Getting the most out of this website
EmpowerTech is committed to ensuring that this website is accessible to all users by conforming to existing recommendations and standards. If you encounter a problem accessing this site or if you would like to provide feedback, please contact us. We strive to make our information accessible to all individuals, including individuals who use assistive technology to access this website and individuals who log in from slow connections. This website was designed to accommodate individuals with cognitive, motor, and sensory limitations.
We refrain from using pop-up menus, unformatted PDF files, timed settings. The animated GIF, featured on the home page main banner - repeats once and stops after for accessibility compatability with screen reader technology. It also contains the appropriate alternative text description. All other banners are static images.
This website has been tested for use with assistive technology such as screen readers, keyboard controls, and alternative input devices. In addition, our website has been tested for use with several browsers, including Netscape Navigator, Internet Explorer, Opera, and text equivalents.
We are committed to eliminating barriers to information and access to the Internet. Our webmaster has attempted to design pages with low bandwidth with minimal dependence plug-ins. In the rare case that a plug-in may be required, a link will be provided to download a free version of the plug-in.
**Back to top.**
This web site conveys information clearly to its intended audience (visitors and potential customers who may or may not be individuals with one or more types of disabilities).
- Uses language in a way that is familiar to and comfortable for its readers.
- Is conversational in its tone whenever possible.
- Uploads within a reasonable amount of time, even on a slow dial-in connection.
- Is accessible to readers with physical impairments.
- Provides an easily discoverable means of communicating with the author or administrator.
- Offers a consistent, clearly recognizable "look and feel".
- Makes effective use of repeating visual themes to unify the site.
- Is visually consistent even when graphics are turned off.
- Uses (approximately) standard link colors whenever possible.
- Creates links which are obvious in their intent and destination.
- Provides a convenient, obvious way to maneuver among related pages and different sections.
- Makes effective use of hyperlinks to tie related items together.
- Has no dead links, broken CGI scripts, or functionless forms.
- Creates a page length that is appropriate to the site content.
- Is moderate in its use of color.
- Avoids juxtaposing text and animations.
- Requests user feedback whenever possible.
Accessibility Instructions for easier navigation
These strategies will help you navigate through this website.
**Back to top.**
Website Structure & Organization
The EmpowerTech web site is divided into three levels:
- Home page
- Level-1 pages
- Level-2 pages
- Level-3 pages
The EmpowerTech home page contains navigational text links to Level-1 pages in two places:
- The main navigation links are horizontally placed at the top of each page, just below the main banner.
- The side navigation links are vertically placed on the left side of each page, adjacent to the main content.
- The footer links located at the bottom of the page.
- All images are accompanied by ALT-attribute descriptions.
At the very top of the page are three links:
- A link to the main content of the web page that your browser is on.
- A link to this page for accessibility help (structural description and access instructions).
- A link to the footer.
- Beneath the skip-to Navigation links are the logo banner and the main navigation bar.
The main navigation expands horizontally across the top of each web page. This navigation provides links that include access to the Home Page, About Us, Technology, Our Programs, Our People, Our Success Stories, Support Us, Helpful Links/Resources, and Contact Us. Each link may be clicked to take you to where there is information regarding that item.
The side navigation on the left side of the page and adjacent to the content - provides links to additional information of value.
**Back to top.**
Each Level-1 page contains menu-style links along the top and left of the page, with footer links located at the bottom of the page. All images are accompanied by Alt-attribute descriptions.
At the very top of the page are three links: one to the content of the Level-1 page; one to this page (structural description and access instructions); and one to the footer.
Each Level-2 page includes narrative content and, where possible, a text link back to its primary reference page.
Each Level-3 page provides an external link to content that exists outside of the EmpowerTech web site. Users should click on the browser's back button to return to the EmpowerTech web page. Navigation features within Level-3 web pages may significantly differ from the EmpowerTech web site.
You may navigate throughout this site by mouse or by keystroke. Pressing the "Tab" key will advance you to the next link option, and pressing the "Enter" key will take you to the linked document or site. Activate radio buttons by using the space bar on your keyboard or by clicking your mouse key. If you need to go back to the previous link, just press the "Shift" and "Tab" keys.